Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disease that affects your tissue, cartilage, and your bones and joints. The damage is not reversible without some type of surgery, such as total joint replacements. Sometimes depending on your situation, you may experience a ‘flare-up’, when your condition suddenly becomes more painful. Flare-ups occur when you’re tired, stress, weather changes, and injury that exacerbates your condition.
- Joint pain
- Reduced range of motion
- Difficulty accomplishing tasks due to pain
Here’s what to do in the case of a sudden flare-up:
- Short term relief may be available with over-the-counter pain medication. Be sure not to overuse these as this can cause unintended consequences and side effects.
- Heat therapy to reduce any stiffness in your joints
- Ice and cold compresses to relieve your pain
- Massage therapy to loosen any tightness
- Stress relief to prevent further flare-ups
- Plenty of rest and relaxation to give your joints their healing space
At Spectrum Medical Group, our team of medical specialists can help find the treatment option you need to put an end to your flare-ups for good. Contact us today and learn more about the best way to regain your quality of life.