- Having pain in your back is no fun. Here are some easy ways to relieve, if not eliminate back pain at home!
- Perform Mckenzie exercises. Contrary to popular belief, bending forward can cause an increase in back pain. Lay flat on your stomach with your forearms flat on floor at shoulder height. Rise up on to your elbows so that your spine is in extension. Then lift your chin and hold for 3 minutes.
- Use capsaicin cream. Capsaicin is the substance found in chili peppers that makes them spicy. It is a commonly known, natural pain reliever. It has been shown to affect substance P, a neurotransmitter involved in pain transmission. One study showed that after 3 weeks of capsaicin use, patients had a significant reduction in pain. To use: apply topically, at least twice per day, for maximum relief.
- Get some exercise. It may seem counter-intuitive but the less you move the more pain you will experience, so no bed rest! Low impact, moderate intensity exercise is the safest option. Listen to your body and avoid movements that trigger pain. Take 5-10 minutes to warm up prior to exercising. Walking will do. Always include static abdominal/ core exercises like a plank or glut bridge.
- Follow an anti-inflammatory diet. Reducing inflammation throughout your body can have a profound effect on joint pain overall. Following an anti-inflammatory diet is the easiest way to reduce system wide inflammation.
- Lose excess weight. As we gain weight, stress and pressure on the lower spine and back muscles increases. Increased abdominal weight at the front of the body can cause an increased arch in the spine and may lead to increased stress on pain sensitive tissues. Losing weight reduces the tendency to arch the back and relieves pressure on the lower spine. If your back pain is persistent or excruciating, you should see your personal physician urgently.
If the above tips aren’t providing you with the relief you’re looking for, or to learn more about how Spectrum Medical can help you put an end to your back pain, contact us today.